Our team of stone masons are some of the most experienced in the UK and have extensive conservation expertise having worked on some highly complex masonry conservation projects to historic buildings, structures and ancient monuments for clients including English Heritage, Cadw, The National Trust, local authorities and other heritage organisations.
Our masons are fully qualified and work from purpose-built workshops in Chester. As well as conservation work, we also produce new architectural masonry using traditional methods and techniques, working with stone types from quarries all over the UK. Recclesia is a Full Member of the Stone Federation of Great Britain and our masonry team work to exacting standards.
Below are some of our masonry projects which will give you a good introduction to our capability.
The impressive Rhuddlan Castle stands as a dominant, yet ruinous, feature alongside a once strategic crossing point of the river Clwyd in Denbighshire, North Wales. Cadw and Recclesia’s team of skilled masons, led by Senior Mason Paul Warrand helped to preserve this historic site for present and future generations.
Over the last few years South Tyneside’s foremost civic building and its associated council offices have been undergoing a major facelift. As part of the works to provide a modern working environment to allow the council to become ever more efficient, conservation works are being carried out to the Grade II listed Town Hall building.
Stationed at the edge of Chester city centre, stands Chester Castle. The history and importance of this location is perhaps no longer noticed by the hundreds of shoppers, tourists and businessmen who pass by its gates every day, but this building has played a pivotal role in the history of the UK.
Since the early 1990s, English Heritage has commissioned several phases of work to conserve and consolidate the original fabric and this project encompassed the Half Moon Tower and the Frobisher’s Workshop.
The Clive Engine House is one of only a few remaining buildings of its kind in Wales, constructed in 1862 to house a powerful 100-inch diameter cylinder engine, capable of pumping 2000 gallons of water every minute. Unfortunately for this engine house the mine it served closed in 1884 and the building was stripped out and left to the elements. Recclesia carried out extensive building conservation works, to rescue the remains of the historic structure.
Sitting at the heart of Caernarfon, North Wales, the Market Hall was built in 1832 by John Lloyd, architect of Caernarfon, as a corn market on the earlier site of an Elizabethan house called Plas Mawr. Recclesia were awarded a contract to complete extensive renovation works internally, and sensitive conservation and repair works externally, readying the building for its new use as a micro-brewery and event space.