The Full Story
Sitting at the heart of Caernarfon, North Wales, the Market Hall was built in 1832 by John Lloyd, architect of Caernarfon, as a corn market on the earlier site of an Elizabethan house called Plas Mawr. A basement, thought to be that of the original house, was used as a bonded warehouse for spirits for many years until the building fell into disuse.
Recclesia were awarded a contract to complete extensive renovation works internally, and sensitive conservation and repair works externally, readying the building for its new use as a micro-brewery and event space.
The specialist conservation and repair project involved the complete restoration of the gigantic timber roof lantern, extensive repairs to roofs, masonry conservation and repair to the external elevations, metalwork repairs to the huge iron gates on both frontages and replacement windows, as well as minor mechanical and electrical work getting the building ready for the next phase of internal redevelopment.